Blame it on the last decade’s rocky economy or the waste-not-want-notmentality of the environmentalist movement, but we’ve witnessed a surge in people’s desire for pared-down, beautiful designs that are unfussy and functional. These “rustic utilitarian” interiors feature items handpicked with longevity in mind—both in terms of construction and style. With the outside world seeming as uncertain as ever, these styles echo similarly trying times in the world’s history. Times when heartiness, self-sufficiency, and the handmade trumped frivolous, temporary fashions. Look for natural, un-doctored materials and an emphasis on quality construction and handicraft. These styles, made for the long haul, don’t seem to be going anywhere. Here are 14 interiors + 8 Products that display Rustic Utilitarianism at its best.
1. Kitchen Prep Counter | 2. Pocket Apron | 3. Enamel Plates | 4. Pendant Lamp | 5. Wood Serving Spoon | 6. Chambray Work Shirt | 7. Soap With Brush | 8. Trash Can
1. Kelli & Sam Larson, San Diego, CA.
2. Graham & Co, Phoenicia, NY.
3. Elise Joseph, Nashville, TN
4. Camilla Ebdrup, Copenhagen
5. Jason Gnewikow & Jeff Madelena, Phoenicia, NY
6. Tara Mangini & Percy Bright, Greenville, NY
7. Tara Mangini & Percy Bright, Greenville, NY
8. Jessie Webster, Los Angeles, CA
9. Phil & Ruth de Vos, Perth, Australia
10. Marte Marie Forsberg, Oslo Fjord, Norway
11. Cassandra Ellis, London
12. Heather Jorde, Indiana
13. Evan & Oliver Haslegrave, Brooklyn, NY
14. Ariele Alasko, Brooklyn, NY
Post a Comment